Blog

In 2000, the Town of Killingworth purchased the 131-acre property for $670,000. Plans for a major recreation complex were developed but failed to win approval in town referendums in 2003 and 2004. The property went unused until 2007, when Peg Scofield requested permission to establish a community garden. Read more
Anthony (Sr.) and Maria Bosco raised turkeys in the Mt. Carmel section of Hamden on a 3 acre property and needed a larger farm to expand. They purchased the Parmelee Farm in 1956. Tony (Jr.), then 21, had recently graduated from the University of Connecticut with a degree in agriculture and was the first to move to the farm. The turkey business was his parents’ and although it was a substantial operation, it was never able to fully support two generations of Boscos. Read more
The Horace Parmelee house, formerly known as the Bosco house, was built in 1847 and occupied by Horace and Eunice Parmelee. Architecturally, the house is a late example of the post-colonial or Federal style. Horace L. Parmelee was born June 28, 1819, the son of Moses and Ruth Parmelee. Eunice Maria Parmelee was born on August 2, 1822, the daughter of Rufus and Eunice Parmelee. They were married on June 11, 1843, by the Rev. E. Swift in the Congregational Church. H. L. Parmelee is shown as occupant of the house on the 1859 map of Middlesex County. Horace died August 5, 1898 and Eunice November 8, 1905. Read more